
Are you as intrigued with contrasts as I am? Normally, I get up at 5 in the morning. But on Sundays I sleep in til 6:30. What a difference it makes! But thinking about this, it occured to me, it's all relative. If I stayed up later and got up at 6:30 every day, it would be the same. So it isn't the time itself, maybe more the number of sleep hours. But is it even that? What if I was able to sleep 9 hours every night? Would that feel as good? I don't think so. I think the answer lies in the change, the contrast, the juxposition of the six mornings of 7 hours sleep with the one of 8 1/2. Marvelous thing contrast. It's why vacations are so pleasurable. It's what attracts us to art of all kinds. It is what makes for good poetry, a compelling novel, a beautiful sunset.
No comments:
Post a Comment