
Saturday, August 25, 2012
Because there's no big stuff...
From a fiction classic, Benedict and Nancy Freedman's "Mrs. Mike," the story of real-life early 1900s wilderness Canadians Mike and Katherine Flannigan, comes a quote that resonates with me somehow. “When little things are so important, it's because there aren't any big ones.” The line is in the context of the story's Katie Flannigan, who makes a short visit home to Boston after a few years in 1907’s northern Alberta and is struck by the shallowness of all her old acquaintances' lives. For example a woman whose whole day revolves around her breakfast toast being done to her liking. Once her own perspective as well, Katie now, after enduring cholera epidemics, forest fires, bear maulings, Indian superstitions and the sheer strain of wilderness living, finds she has changed. Only the big things matter any more.


Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I think about this a lot. Like when the person in my drive-through demands a new lemonade because I put three too many ice cubes in their drink...if that's the worst thing that happens in your day, you're blessed!
Or we're cursed, by our own pettiness, which is I think, the point of that chapter in the book. "Why nkt rather be wronged?," Scripture says (I Cor 6:7). Easy to way, another thing to do....
Post a Comment